Thursday, January 11, 2007

I don't know why I am still amazed by the pin heads in education

Well so I have to share my amazement at how stupid and ignorant some of the "future" teachers I come across in my Education degree. I was exposed to another day full of group work. It has been somewhat interesting to encounter some new people as generally you seem to get a lot of the same people you had before in your classes. Anyways I had a group today of individuals I largely have not really talked to before today.

So when we get in this group project we are supposed to come up with opening activities that get the students interests to study about CULTURE. As we bounce some ideas around....mainly most of these pinheads are way bloody off topic(not on a different subject but not where they should be in this subject) ,which is pretty scary considering we go out to teach in 5 weeks.


Well this guy in my group says about his idea that it was "gay" and he quickly covered his mouth. Well we joked and I said jokingly that he better watch out for political correctness as that was not acceptable language. Anyways we move on and they are talking about using games to go over information students need in their finals. This guy again comments that he would go about it by separating the class in the "girls against the boys". Well I quickly jump in good natured that he seemed to be having trouble with being politically correct. Well everyone in the group looked at me in bafflement and asked in unison what was wrong with that. Well in all of my learning as well as personal beliefs, separating the genders is extremely negative and perpetuates a rivalry between sexes that we in Education should be trying to get rid of.

Well anyways when I quickly reinforced my position they all looked at me like I had two heads and was some bitchy feminist out to get them and I was completely out to lunch. Well yes I am a feminist, but what I was saying is not unreasonable. I did not ask to put men down and elevate women only to not make a categorising of gender in the classroom to compete against each other.

So after all this they totally gave me the cold shoulder and virtually excluded me with dirty looks and ignoring my comments. Jerks! they also took their crap ideas and presented them to the class, which were not warmly taken by the class or professor....duh dummies. So yeah just had to share.

Leah

No comments: