Monday, February 26, 2007

So I am now in my second week

My God. I have started taking over the Social Studies 13 class and let me tell you I am strongly whacking myself in the head for going in to teaching. Possibly I am overwhelmed and these kids are just whacked.

As I may have posted last week (not sure I can remember), I had my first class where I was officially in charge of this class. Well needless to say I was not in charge, the students were. It was beyond out of control. So this week I decided I would give them my "tough teacher" spiel. They were better, but only marginally.

I feel that the students really do not view me as a "legitimate" teacher and therefore feel no need to give me any respect whatsoever. Class room management class certainly does not cover this. The beauty of all this is that if I admit defeat I am a failure, if I ask for more guidance I am a failure. I really do not feel that my mentor teacher is supporting me.

I watched my mentor teacher with these kids and he basically lets them do whatever they want and then plays like he has been in control. I on the other hand would like them to learn. He started an assignment with them last week when I started where they were to have 3 days to complete a group assignment (more than enough time to finish this assignment). Well 3 days turned in to 4 days and then they were given the weekend to complete it on their own time. So today when I get there they are asking to have more time. My Mentor Teacher asks me with the student there what I think (remember I had them Friday and they completely were nuts and screwing around the 1 1/2 hour class. So I said "No, I do not think you should have any more time"....well needless to say my mentor teacher says "okay you can have the last half hour to work on your assignment. What the f%#.

What is truly ironic is that he recommends tomorrow when I am to mark their assignment (power point and speeches, poster, and newspaper ad) I should "praise their work and mark them easy". Sounds like a brilliant way to reward them for doing nothing. Great message for them to understand the realities of the world.

Anyways, I really hope tomorrow is better. I am really ready to approach the vice-principal for guidance or my University Facilitator, however this may just make me look incompetent and irritate my mentor teacher. HELP!

Leah

No comments: